Four Corners Colorado, New Mexico, Utah & Arizona

Colorado Springs-Reliable Jeep Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Colorado Springs-Reliable Jeep Mechanic?

Hello everyone. I am brand new to the Forum and this is my first post. I got the off-roading bug a couple of years ago and had been doing some easy to moderate trails in my stock F150. It does pretty well, but naturally I wanted more adventure, so went out and bought a 98 XJ that I can really modify and adventure ton more aggressive trails.

I joined this forum to meet people that can help me learn more about my new toy. I am a fairly capable DIYer and do almost all of my own maintenance/repairs on vehicles. However, I don't have much experience with the geometry changes caused with lifted suspensions, and am still learning about the impacts that certain modifications have on this type of vehicle, so am looking for a good reliable resource in the Colorado Springs, CO area that can help me go through my current set up and help me address anything that could potentially be a concern. The PO of the vehicle already did some fairly significant mods, but once I got it home and was able to really start going through it, I found some issues that I didn't previously catch. Additionally, I question whether some mods that were listed as part of the vehicle were actually fully done. An example is that it was listed as having a SYE installed, but from what I can tell, it looks like they just put a front driveshaft on the rear and it really isn't a SYE. The Transfer case cover appears to be original to me. I just put a SYE in the same transfer case on my son's TJ and it looks nothing like the one on mine. They are the same transfer case.

If anyone knows of a good reliable shop, mechanic or are experienced themselves and willing to help please hit me up. I prefer to do my own wrenching whenever I can and when I have the right tools to do the job correctly, so if anyone is willing to take me under their wing I would prefer that over hiring someone. I plan on making this a project, so have a lot of things I want to do to it before next wheeling season.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

If it has a front driveshaft in the rear then it does have an SYE, that's the only way you can do that. They probably did the hack n tap SYE which is fine. I'm running the hack n tap with a front driveshaft in the rear on 35s, it holds up fine.
The following users liked this post:
GzrGldr (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
If it has a front driveshaft in the rear then it does have an SYE, that's the only way you can do that. They probably did the hack n tap SYE which is fine. I'm running the hack n tap with a front driveshaft in the rear on 35s, it holds up fine.
I really appreciate you sharing that with me. It does alleviate some concerns. I will probably still upgrade it in the future, but nice knowing that it wasn't a complete hack job and I can continue with it for now.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

If you were closer to the wester slope i would help you out anytime. Can still anwser any questions you have though.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
really appreciate that. That’s why I joined this forum. From what I can tell there’s a bunch of great folks always willing to share their knowledge