Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket coolant tank locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket coolant tank locations

I'm trying to make some more room in the engine bay for my dual battery setup and I keep coming back to this idea of moving the coolant tank. My plan is to use one of those universal tall skinny guys from like Summit or something.
Couple of questions:

-Anyone done this?
-Is there a minimum capacity I need?
- are there restrictions on location, ie, must be mounted above or below the radiator cap, not too close to exhaust manifold etc..

If I can get this thing relocated it would help tremendously. I've got a couple relay boxes, an isolator, and a ground buss that need some room.

This is an 01 btw. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Subbed because it's one of things I wanted to do
Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0, 60mm TB, 784's

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
I'm trying to make some more room in the engine bay for my dual battery setup and I keep coming back to this idea of moving the coolant tank. My plan is to use one of those universal tall skinny guys from like Summit or something.
Couple of questions:

-Anyone done this?
-Is there a minimum capacity I need?
- are there restrictions on location, ie, must be mounted above or below the radiator cap, not too close to exhaust manifold etc..

If I can get this thing relocated it would help tremendously. I've got a couple relay boxes, an isolator, and a ground buss that need some room.

This is an 01 btw. Thanks.
Do you still have the factory air box?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JeepTrick68
Do you still have the factory air box?
No more airbox. I ordered half the parts from Spectre to make a cowl induction setup but I'm just gonna draw air from the engine bay up near the evac solenoid. I don't want the added noise. The battery, winch contactor and a couple other things will be on side where the airbox was.

Ideally, I'd like to mount the reservoir under the evac solenoid area. I'm not sure if having the reservoir lower than the rad. cap is an issue though. The other option was against the firewall near the brake booster but it's a little tight over there with the new intake and pretty close to the exhaust heat. In moving the tank, my number one goal is to not have it affect coolant temps. My truck runs cool and I don't want to change that a bit.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Subbed.

Im putting coilovers in mine and the factory coolant tank is directly in the way of the passenger shock hoop, and I don't want to chop this one into pieces like the last one.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Can you get a 97+ style and put it there right next to the PDC?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000

We're talking about the overflow bottle right? I had mine mounted on the driver side in the same location as the passenger (right about the coil), briefly on my dd build, I'll see if I can find a photo.

I need to relocate a bunch of stuff for my buggy build as well, two of which are the windshield wash and coolant bottle. I'll be doing CO's as well which I think they will make it easier, I can just weld some mount tabs too the tube somewhere.

If you delete the whole AC system, and OEM air box, there's so much more room for activities!

Aftermarket coolant tank locations-image-332886051.jpg
Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
We're talking about the overflow bottle right? I had mine mounted on the driver side in the same location as the passenger (right about the coil), briefly on my dd build, I'll see if I can find a photo.

I need to relocate a bunch of stuff for my buggy build as well, two of which are the windshield wash and coolant bottle. I'll be doing CO's as well which I think they will make it easier, I can just weld some mount tabs too the tube somewhere.

If you delete the whole AC system, and OEM air box, there's so much more room for activities!
Yeah overflow bottle is what I'm talking about. I doubt there is a height restriction now that I think about it.

I know this is a bit off topic but it pertains to my needing to clear some space: the crank case vents. Will I throw Evap codes if they aren't plumbed back into the intake? If they just had a breather, I'm doubt they would spew oil because there is no vacuum pulling the oil up. I hate how gunked up my intake manifold gets, and it's one less thing to do on this new intake. Something tells me this falls into the "not allowed" category for topics of discussion on this forum. Hope not. Thanks for the replys
Old 05-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0, 60mm TB, 784's

I moved mine to the driver's side right in front of the

master cylinder
Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by JeepTrick68
I moved mine to the driver's side right in front of the master cylinder
That's where I was trying to describe haha. I also had mine there briefly, sorry for the pic size, only one I have: