Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Hot Rod Apocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have and they are smaller. More like a 32.5 or less. It doesn't help that these are about 50% on tread. Truth be told, I have never liked the KOs. Hoping the KO2s are a big improvement. I'm also considered the KM2s, Extreme Terrains, or the upcoming General Grabber mud terrains as they will be offered in a 33x10.5x15. Given the snow, I'll probably stick with the KO2s.

And they rub in the front when flexed out. No more lower control arm rubbing though. The wheel spacers took care of that.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee

Did you figure out your pops n groans issue? I have a similar problem- replacing the ball joints and hoping that's the issue
Old 08-09-2016, 08:27 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Battle
I have and they are smaller. More like a 32.5 or less. It doesn't help that these are about 50% on tread. Truth be told, I have never liked the KOs. Hoping the KO2s are a big improvement. I'm also considered the KM2s, Extreme Terrains, or the upcoming General Grabber mud terrains as they will be offered in a 33x10.5x15. Given the snow, I'll probably stick with the KO2s.

And they rub in the front when flexed out. No more lower control arm rubbing though. The wheel spacers took care of that.
I miss the original KMs Had a set of 31" KMs (with an oddball Wild Country MTX) until the beginning of the year.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998, 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I like the progress! My jeep started out essentially the same as yours, just a different year. 3 pedals > 2 pedals. Funny that you just moved from TN to Rochester, My brother is doing the opposite, moving from Rochester to north east TN this fall. Also I was just up in that area yesterday visiting, didn't see you out and about though haha.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AceWhite
Did you figure out your pops n groans issue? I have a similar problem- replacing the ball joints and hoping that's the issue
It was a combo of loose preload in the pinion (removed some shims), bad u joints, worn out unit bearings, and me never driving with a front locker. The pops are still there but only in certain low speed, high traction turns. The locker behaves significantly better.

Originally Posted by Basslicks
I miss the original KMs Had a set of 31" KMs (with an oddball Wild Country MTX) until the beginning of the year.
You could always score a set of JK take offs.

Originally Posted by T1XJ
I like the progress! My jeep started out essentially the same as yours, just a different year. 3 pedals > 2 pedals. Funny that you just moved from TN to Rochester, My brother is doing the opposite, moving from Rochester to north east TN this fall. Also I was just up in that area yesterday visiting, didn't see you out and about though haha.
Haha! The rig stays tucked away during the week. Where in NE TN? Bristol?

And 3 pedals for the win!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:15 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Battle

You could always score a set of JK take offs.
Wouldn't work on my 15" wheels, and I refuse to run adapters to fit the JK wheels on my XJ.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Updating this with some quality pictures:

Got to drive on a motocross track. That was fun. Went a pretty quick on the whoops because the springs/shocks encourage go-fast behavior. The lack of bumpstops do not.

Finally ordered some. Went with Prothane Progressive inserts.

Also found a localish guy selling a brand new Dirtboung Spal Electric fan kit. Going to pick it up this weekend. Already ordered the fan controller.

My fender flares are mangled. I'm going to have to cut n' fold.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

Nice! I always enjoy seeing field shots of rigs.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Bit of an update. I'm getting ready to drive this thing from Rochester NY to Oliver Springs TN to wheel and camp for a weekend and then drive back. Probably the dumbest thing I've ever decided to attempt. I've made plenty of road trips in old, modified vehicles, so as long as I'm not dumb enough to break the truck on the trails, I should be okay.

I'm also transitioning it from a trail rig to an expedition vehicle. The wheeling spots around Rochester are pretty awful, but a few hours away are killer parks such as Rausch. I'd like to make this a bit more friendly on the road while still maintaining its wheeling capabilities.

Plans are to ditch the lunchbox lockers and graduate to selectables like an adult. Run KO2s instead of mud terrains, lay out some sound deadening in the cab and put in a headliner once again. I'd also like to ditch all the tan in the interior. It gets dirty so quick and looks pretty ugly.

Selectables will come in the future and so I don't get stuck as much at Windrock, I'll keep the Spartans until after that trip and then just run open/open for the winters up here. Open diffs and KO2s!?! Point me to the nearest mall!

I changed the rear diff fluid to try and calm the locker down. It's acting pretty violently after extended drive periods, almost as if the diff is overheating. When I pulled the fluid, it was awful brown and foamy. Never seen that before.

I swear, the RTV shavings were not in the fluid. I just had the pan underneath while I was cleaning the pumpkin.

Shiny. My last 8.25 didn't have the little magnet.

Locker works still. Laid into it, grabbed second, kept spinning. It was full of win.

Took the fender flares off. I like it better and no more rubbing on the mangled flares. Still need to trim the razor sharp edges.

Also installed a TrailTuff Net from, well, http://www.trailtuffnets.com/

This thing is awesome.

Stay tuned as I got to get this thing ready for Oct. 21.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

What's up battle
the xj has come a long way and it is looking stout! When you go open diff id like to pick up the rear locker from you if it's a 29 spline....
Also, when you did the tb upgrade what size did you get? And how do you like it?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:16 AM
CF Veteran

Throttle body is a 62 mm from a guy on here - can't remember who but he was selling a few in the engine section. I like it. Makes throttle response snappier and has an awesome whistle noise when you get on it. My IAC valve is bad even after I cleaned it, so the TB isn't as noticeable now as my high/sticky idle is.

Changed the diff fluid again as the RTV was leaking. Went with 80w-140 this time around. Stuff is thick as sludge but calmed the locker down much better than before.

These came in yesterday. Going to have them mounted and balanced today.

They better be all they're cracked up to be.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Oh those are going to look nice on your rig, 33? Or 35?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 88whitecomanche
Oh those are going to look nice on your rig, 33? Or 35?
33s. I don't really have the gearing for 35s to be spritely. I like the truck's responsiveness with 4.11s and skinny 33s. Plus, I'd rather not blow up tie rods and u joints all the time.

Got them mounted on the American Racing AR23's. Best. Wheels. Ever.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

How is the ride with the tires? I am so tired of the rocks I'm riding on. I am having a hard time deciding between 10.5 or 12.5????
Old 10-16-2016, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Man, I hate to say this because it's like I'm drinking the KoolAid but these tires are pretty damn good. They are quiet, ride smooth and seem to grip the pavement with more feedback and precision than the cruddy KOs. I do still miss the MTZs, but these ride better and are much quieter.

Fixed the brakes yesterday (changed the wheel cylinder), installed Quadratec floor liners, and changed the oil... with synthetic on accident. I usually run dino oil so I'm sure this is the first time this engine's had synthetic in its 169k mile life. Curious what seal will begin leaking first - my money's on the rear main. Or, it could be fine. Runs good. Even the GF said so!

Quick Reply: Project Hot Rod Apocalypse