Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Death Wobble Is Driving Me Insane

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
I've read a couple issues with km2's being hard to keep balance and causing d.w. . Its a free test for the op to try although I doubt he's coming back to respond.
An out of balance tire can help put you into a DW, and balancing may fix the probability of it happening, but it indicates to me something else needs to be addressed as well.

Example, I could induce DW on my TJ due to trackbar & steering linkage issue if I tried. Once I knocked a few wheel weights off the front wheel off-roading I didn't have to try at all. Fixed the trackbar & steering first, no problem other than obvious out of balance issue until I addressed that shortly after.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:52 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 6 cyl

Originally Posted by mmsobyak
... I just had new tires installed, just need to go pick it up and see if that's it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I got the new tires and was able to taunt the DW at 53 mph. I drove at that speed under load (up hills), coasting, and cruising. I drove at that speed for a while, dropped speed, then back to 53. I accelerated over and then dropped to that speed.

So far, no death wobble, so it appears there must've been something with one of the old tires which caused it.

Last edited by mmsobyak; 09-29-2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Better diction
Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM

I got the new tires and was able to taunt the DW at 53 mph. I drove at that speed under load (up hills), coasting, and cruising. I drove at that speed for a while, dropped speed, then back to 53. I accelerated over and then dropped to that speed.

So far, no death wobble, so it appears there must've been something with one of the old tires which caused it.

I'd strongly suggest getting an alignment and tightening down front end still. Nothing worse than getting new rubber and getting uneven wear just to be back in the same position.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Year: 2020
Default Wobble.

Yea i had to fix alot of things after my lift, im not sure if you just lifted or this just came out of the blue. Part of it im sure was the sye but i replaced ball joints and bushings and it was fine.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:59 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 6 cyl

Originally Posted by n00g7
I'd strongly suggest getting an alignment and tightening down front end still. Nothing worse than getting new rubber and getting uneven wear just to be back in the same position.

Obviously getting an alignment.

As for "tightening down the front end.", could you please elaborate on exactly what you mean?
Doesn't make sense to get an alignment until the entire front end is tightened down.

Last edited by mmsobyak; 10-02-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 10-02-2015, 07:08 AM

Obviously getting an alignment.

As for "tightening down the front end.", could you please elaborate on exactly what you mean?
Doesn't make sense to get an alignment until the entire front end is tightened down.
Check for play in trackbar, steering linkages, wheel bearings...
Old 10-03-2015, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

For me, It has always been the track-bar bushings or the control arm bushings. I've had 6xjs and one or the other has always fixed it for me. BUT, like the other guys said, it can be a myriad of things. Jack up the front end and shake the crap out if everything to find where you have play.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Year: 1989. 2 Door
Engine: I6 4.0L

just fixed my wobble after fighting it for over 6 months... i just fixed it yesterday i bought control arm drop brackets and it set my caster and everything to a perfect angle now i can do 60+
Old 03-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Originally Posted by Selbergs89XJ
just fixed my wobble after fighting it for over 6 months... i just fixed it yesterday i bought control arm drop brackets and it set my caster and everything to a perfect angle now i can do 60+

Nice to hear you got it straightened out. On to the next issue
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by manningmode
Glad I found this site and I'm so hoping someone can help me out here. I have been experiencing awful death wobble at 40MPH for a few months now and can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. Any help from experience would be appreciated.
Here is what I'm working with.

92' XJ Cherokee Laredo
4.5" Rough Country Lift
Replaced Upper/Lower Ball Joints
Upgraded Track Bar
New Sway Bar Bushings
New Tie Rods
New Center Link
New steering box

I've read just about every article I can find on the net and have gone over this thing several times and I'm stumped.
Lower your front tire pressure to 20lbs and take a short drive. If death wobble is gone its either your tires, toe or wheels. You can drive with tires at 25lbs and it might go away until you figure it out. I went through this. I was going to set my TJ on fire and laugh while it burned. Mine turned out to be my toe and my tires. Good luck brother. I hope you find this soon. There are about thirteen things it could be. Swap tires and wheels with a friend that doesn't have death wobble and see if it goes away.

Last edited by Photontraveler; 03-30-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Selbergs89XJ

Which drop brackets ? And where did you get them? Im going crazy with mine and just wont get rid of the wobble
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Old 03-24-2017, 12:48 AM

Default Death wobble

I'm experiencing this too at about the same speed and I have no clue what I could do to fix it, I'm fairly new to lifted vehicles.

98 xj
6.5 rough country
33" mud claws
supposedly re-geared and chipped