Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zombie Response Jeep (Slow)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Cool

Well I changed something up this weekend, went with a new pair of pods for the pillar, but mounted them on the cowl. Think they did not turn out to bad, also started on another project but go put on hold due to my stupidity. I will say that a Radiator does not have any good defense against a drill bit. Whops one on order then that job will be finished up. More info on that latter.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that radiator fan setup and nicely done on the lights! Fabricated your own bracket?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
I like that radiator fan setup and nicely done on the lights! Fabricated your own bracket?
Did make everything, helps though at work we have a shear for the steel and a bender also. But for the size of the brackets you could do it on a vise. Would just take a bit more time.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:49 PM

Old 02-03-2018, 07:35 PM

A new weekend and new projects and finishing some others.

Well first I was replacing the radiator in the jeep, last weekend when I was doing the 3 electric fans I made like a small hole in the rad. So I had to get a new one, get that baby back in and then wanted to do the tune up on the jeep. Went with a off brand MSI coil pack. E3 spark plugs that I got off RockAuto for 2.40 a pop, and a new cap and rotor. Got that all back in and looks way better, starts a bit better with out any problems.

Still have to finish the 3 Fan setup, have to put the overriding switch in, also clean up the wiring, and more coolant. But Ever since I have done that though the jeep smokes a little bit, looks like it is coming from around the 3/4 exhaust manifold area. Looks like I might have to replace that gasket. More work YAY!

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Hey guys, got the video done on the lift kit on the jeep, Think everything turned out good.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Default RUST!!

Well guys the jeep is going under the knife to get some frame fixings, but that was not what started it all.

I will say I think I forgot to say that the jeep has not been running right at all, the 2 cylinder fuel injector started leaking so all new "O" rings are on there way. Also was running very rich in fuel so I have new O2 sensors also on there way. Then last but not lest I was having problems with the fuel gauge not working 100% ( Been going down hill for some time).

So since I have time before all of my well spent $200 comes in the mail I figured that I would go ahead and start, and take out the tank. Well on my jeep I have to remove the skid plate first. Ok, no big deal..... well that was not the only problem, the rear bumper bottom supports sandwiched the skid plat between that and the frame. So I had to go and remove the rear bumper to remove the skid plat, to remove the tank.

Well once I got that all done and out I noticed something. The "frame" kind of looked rusted out, so I got my trusty ball peen hammer and taped on parts of it and.... well..... F%#k. Then I got out the air hammer and went to town to find every frigen piece of rust that I saw. And well after that you see the pictures. Everything on the bottom of the "Frame" from were my bump stops used to be is about gone. So out came the plasma cutter and cut that all out.

And that at the moment is where it is sitting at, I will be putting in a 2 1/2 by 1/4 pieces of steel to fix the "Frame" and prime, paint and go from there. Also going to do every inch from the transfer case back, clean, paint. One other thing that I did to was after I cut the "Frame" was take my shop vac hose and stuffed it down the frame. There was a lot of **** that I sucked out of it.

But wait for updates of the frame and how it will look when I am done.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 248 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Wow that's bad. Not a lost though, you found it before you ripped the rear of the frame out on a heavy recovery or accident though so that's nice. Good luck with the plating/restoration
Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Wow that's bad. Not a lost though, you found it before you ripped the rear of the frame out on a heavy recovery or accident though so that's nice. Good luck with the plating/restoration
Thanks, going to get it fixed over the next week or so. But it is going to be way stronger than what it was that is for sure.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:48 PM

Well guys over the last of the weekend I had some steel laying around, was not really the right stuff to use but I think that it did come out good. I Still have to clean up some welds ( I am not the BEST welder at all). Also have to get more of the under body prepped for paint and that.

Also found out this weekend if you want to scrape the under body rubber **** off all you need to do is heat it up with a torch, and it scrapes off easy with a small putty knife. So hope that can help anyone else out.

I also know that using the "C" channel kind of looks weird on the side of the frame, but it did get me spots that I could weld to without burning through or dealing with rust that much.

Let me know what you think, also what I should do to make it better. I know that it is going to be stronger than what was there.

Not the worst welds but not also the best welds

Still have to take care of the hole for the filler necks for the gas tank.

Passenger side does not look that bad.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

A lot better than what I could do so keep up the good work!
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by BulletProofTech
Looking at that time now for "NEW" paint, well a clean up. Maybe a black and red look, Like this maybe!!! (Not mine)
That Jeep looks familiar, Thanks for the post!
Subbed BTW!!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/de...ctures-214160/

Last edited by 98jeepster_xj; 03-28-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 98jeepster_xj
That Jeep looks familiar, Thanks for the post!
Subbed BTW!!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/de...ctures-214160/
There is a lot of things that I like about your jeep that I am going to be doing in the future. You do have a good build going also, I am sub to it.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:19 PM

Default Long time update

Well guys it has been some time since I posted. Been busy with work and more but have been daily driving the jeep for work now, also getting a cool 17 mpg. Don't know how but it is.

Other projects is got a new pull rope for the Jeep, won that at a jeep event and also been trying to do more camping. So I decided to start a storage area in the back. Needed room for batterys, power inverter, cooler and grill that is comming soon. But what you see is how far I have gotten so far, let me know what you think. Also what you might want to change or ideas.

Other projects that I wased to do was add lights to the roof rack, these are just some auxbeam pods I had laying around, so they are anything special. But made my own brackets with some aluminum angle and self tapers in to the tubing. But they are nice when camping and needing to set up in the night. Start of the storage area
Storage area ideas
The kentic rope I won!!
Jeep even a few weeks back
Added rack lights
Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Looking good. I love storage areas.

Quick Reply: Zombie Response Jeep (Slow)